I am actually looking for a sample that contains this effect, like in this song by the Red Hot Chili Peppers at 0:55

2 Answers 2


It's known as a side-stick or cross-stick

Google found this http://freewavesamples.com/side-stick

or this set looks pretty comprehensive - http://www.freesound.org/people/quartertone/packs/8839/

I didn't test either of the above, I've got more drum samples here than I really know what to do with ;)

  • Thank you, i was first looking for 'Rim Click' samples but that didn't give me the right samples. I got more rim shots like the second link you posted Jul 11, 2015 at 2:56

My drummer always called it a rimshot.

  • 2
    There's some confusion/disagreement over 'rimshot' as a term. I'd consider a rimshot to be like a normal stroke, but with the stick angled precisely to hit both the skin & rim simultaneously. The effect is pretty dramatic, & loud. Compared to cross- or side-stick, which has the stick resting on the skin & then the sound made by striking the rim.
    – Tetsujin
    Mar 21, 2016 at 13:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.