Lately I've had a lot of fun listening to instrumental covers of modern songs created with medieval music instruments (example:

). This also lead me down the rabbit hole of artists who do the same but with a variety of musical styles and national styles (example: VinHeteiro, like

My question is: is there a specific term for such a composition? I feel like cover is too generic, and I always interpreted "medley" as being about multiple songs from the same artist or in the same style.

  • "Medley" is just the term for several different pieces combined into one. Often there's a theme e.g. a particular artist or a particular style, but often not. One piece in different styles wouldn't normally be called a medley.
    – PiedPiper
    Aug 14, 2020 at 17:47

1 Answer 1


Would "reinterpretation" be the word you're looking for?

"Weird Al" Yankovic - My Bologna (Audio) - YouTube is a parody, not a real cover, but he's used the accordion to play many other songs that were never intended for such an instrument.

Or Johnny Cash - Hurt (Official Music Video) - YouTube, which is a cover, of the Nine Inch Nails piece, in a completely different style.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.