I've heard this bass line in a number of songs, including Billy Joel's "Piano Man", "One Day More" from Les Miserables, and "Rambling Through the Avenues of Time" by Flight of the Conchords. It's certainly a useful line: downward moving major scale, with a simple II-V-I at the end, and it's used in a variety of styles. Does this bass line (and maybe the associated chord progressions) have a name?

enter image description here

  • 2
    I’m voting to close this question because this is a better fit for Music: Practice and Theory – Aaron Sep 11 '20 at 4:11
  • @Aaron Thanks for letting me know, I was back and forth on which site to post the question to, I guess I should have gone for Practice and Theory! – margalo Sep 11 '20 at 5:25

This is a "walking" bassline, so called because it has the regular pace of someone walking. It travels stepwise on the beat through the scale of the chord it accompanies. It's common in Baroque music and well as in jazz and blues.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.