If I'm producing a commercial or a movie/tv show and have a specific song and artist that I want to play in the background of a scene or a montage, what are the rules for using that song? Who do I reach out to to get permission? How much does it cost?

1 Answer 1


You need a sync license [Music Synchronisation License].
You need permission from two different organisations - the one who administers the song rights & the one who has the recording rights.
Where you get it depends on what jurisdiction you live in & who operates the rights. For instance, in the UK you would first approach the PRS [Performing Right Society] who work in conjunction with the MCPS [Mechanical Copyright Protection Society].

Pricing is on a case-by-case basis.

PRS: Commercial Music Sync Licensing

General guide to sync rights - Wikipedia: Synchronization rights

To start, find who is responsible in your territory & see what their web site has to say about it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.