I'm trying to find out what an instrument is called. Please tell me I'm not crazy because everyone I ask looks at me like I'm from outer space.

I saw it years ago in my friend's cymbal catalog, either Zildjian or Paiste, I can't remember. I only saw a photo so I don't know how big it is but it looked fairly small, maybe six inches across. It's made of a solid piece of flat brass. It has an irregular, but symmetrical curving shape with a small hole at the top.

The way my friend explained, it would hang by a string and you would spin it and strike it, or make it spin by striking it. I imagine it would sound something like a crotale except with a shimmering sound.

Even the friend that showed it to me doesn't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Edit: I have found a photo of the instrument in question. It is from a 1988 Zildjian catalog I found here. Unfortunately it is super low-res. If the resolution were higher I would have my answer from the text of the catalog. At least you can make out the general shape and see that it is hanging from a stand.

enter image description here

I am not sure if my description of how it is played or how it sounds is accurate. At least now I know I didn't imagine it.

2 Answers 2


It's a Burma Bell.

Burma Bell

enter image description here

Here's the full resolution page of the catalog: http://www.vintagecymbalguide.com/images/literature/zildjian/zildjian_catalog_2-12.jpg

And this is how it sounds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epHHvPEjjMM


From physical description and the sound you imagine it makes, seems like you're talking about a Hang, but a hang isn't hung by a string.

  • 1
    No.that's not it. Commented Sep 20, 2015 at 15:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.