Would like to have community's help on identifying the dominant instrument (obviously apart from purcussion, guitar) playing in this clip. It does seem to be synthesized sound, and heavily modulated. What kind of equipment might be used to product such sound ?

PS> The clip is extracted from a youtube video of this Indian movie soundtrack (Note that I've placed a time-marker that starts to coincide with the clip in question). The information section has all the other details (“Khamoshiyan” featuring Gurmeet Choudhary, Sapna Pabbi and Ali Fazal which is sung by Arijit Singh & composed by Jeet Gannguli).

  • 2
    It's almost certainly a synthesizer of some kind - nicely articulated programming / playing. Unfortunately unless someone recognises the exact preset being used, it's going to be hard to identify which synthesizer - there are thousands of them, and there are probably many that could produce a sound like this. I know this question has just come from music.stackexchange.com, but if you wanted to know how to get this particular synth sound in terms of what settings to use, it looks to me like that would be on-topic over there (as opposed to 'identify this' questions, which aren't.)
    – user16
    Jan 22 '16 at 21:58
  • (but you could always leave this question here in case anyone does recognise the actual piece of equipment)
    – user16
    Jan 22 '16 at 21:59
  • I agree with topo, probably a synth. That volume swell is a good sign for that. However, with the right squaring of the waveform with some kind of synthbox/auto wah, you can get close with just about anything. Listen to Satriani's lead line here m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmL9kXydWes
    – user6591
    Jan 23 '16 at 23:58
  • 1
    You should. This question is clearly about synthesizers, so they are the most qualified to answer it. The only answer you will get here is "it's a synthesizer".
    – Avatrin
    Jan 25 '16 at 11:26
  • 1
    Do a little googling on a Haken Continuum. Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater plays one, and it sounds like it may be related. Possibly just using a different synth sound. youtube.com/watch?v=rW1KeRNaP-Q
    – Johnny Bones
    Jan 25 '16 at 14:29

I think maybe it's just a synth version of an old instrument called the "theremin" (since it's, well, too old to be used for such a modern sound clip). Still, I searched around a bit and was surprised to see a more high tech version of the instrument - Moog Theremini. Not sure if this is accurate info but it could start off your research.

  • Thanks for the answer @Flowmarch. I've known about Theremin. Unless it is indeed using the spatial input mechanisms of Theremin to produce synthesized sounds, which BTW is not impossible. In all the demonstrations of Theremin that I've seen, I've never heard such sound produced.
    – bdutta74
    Jan 22 '16 at 16:23
  • The Theremin is not "too old". Lots of people play Theremins today. The Moog company sells several models of Theremins, not just the high-tech Theremini. moogmusic.com/products/Etherwave-Theremins
    – user546
    Jan 24 '16 at 14:46
  • 2
    And this clip has no Theremin on it anywhere. I am very familiar with the Theremin. The obvious pitch-shifting/modulation effect on this clip does not sound like a Theremin at all.
    – user546
    Jan 24 '16 at 14:50
  • the pitch gliding sounds to me more like a portamento effect than the manual glide you get with a theremin...
    – user16
    Jan 25 '16 at 1:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.