What is the name of a passage of music that plays in classical music towards the end? In a sense, this is the resolution of tension, or even beyond (like a denouement).

There are two examples I can cite:

  • At the end of Faith No More's 'Jizzlobber', off their Angel Dust album. Once the hard rock/metal fades out, the keyboard is the lone voice. It plays an organ piece that you might hear at Catholic church, accompanied with a choir of voices
  • The end of the self-titled Mr. Bungle album. Dead Goon plays out with combination of orchestral pieces, light piano work, and accordion music you might hear on the banks of the Mediterranean

I want to use a term like liturgy or processional, but that's not quite right. The term I am thinking of is roughly translated to 'music that plays while the parishioners leave the mass'. I like to think of these pieces as palate cleansers, as catharsis.

Here is Jizzlobber, just as the heavy part fades towards the outro.
Here is Dead Goon. The hard music is about to end, and the outro will take over.


1 Answer 1


My first thought is "coda".

From the New Oxford American Dictionary:

coda |ˈkoʊdə|

noun Music

the concluding passage of a piece or movement, typically forming an addition to the basic structure.

  • the concluding section of a dance, especially of a pas de deux, or the finale of a ballet in which the dancers parade before the audience.
  • a concluding event, remark, or section: his new novel is a kind of coda to his previous books.

ORIGIN: mid 18th century: Italian, from Latin cauda ‘tail.’

See also:

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.