In this song here, some music can be heard at 02:36 to 02:47.

It is totally away from tune of the song. What is the name of this music called?

I am not asking for instrument name or music note here.

  • Hi. I'm not sure I understood your question... it might be called a break or a bridge. – Bebs Jun 19 '17 at 6:48
  • 1
    Are you asking what the genre is of the bridge section? – Chris Sunami Jun 21 '17 at 14:01

In songwriting, this is typically called a "Breakdown" or if it were to have vocals it might be called a "Bridge".

A Bridge will literally bridge a verse to a chorus or even a chorus to a second chorus. Vocally, you might offer a new point of view or new idea.

A Breakdown (which is usually instrumental) diverts away from the main theme in order to refresh your ears and get you ready for another verse or chorus.

My favourite Breakdown is from Sting's "Englishman in New York". It's completely out of place, which works perfectly in the song because an Englishman in New York is literally out of place! Check the song out on YouTube.

  • Hi. If you use information that was in the comments, you should say it. – Bebs Jun 20 '17 at 6:56
  • Hi @Bebs, Sorry I didn't see your comment when I answered. We're in agreement of the answer though, so that's good. – user3998694 Jun 21 '17 at 22:11
  • The tags are about "genre" so I still can't say wheter your answer is correct or not... that's why I commented, just to ask OP more clarifications. – Bebs Jun 22 '17 at 9:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.