Preface: I ask this as a devil's advocate; so please don't challenge my premise of trying to hear Dissonant Postmodern Music (hereafter DPM) as merry, enraptured, paradisical music, e.g. that by Copland, Händel, Haydn or Mozart.
After 1 year of daily listening to them, I have not progressed. So what more can I do?
I enjoy, and have no problems with:
- anything by Berg, Messiaen, Schönberg, Penderecki except his Threnody.
- John Cage's solo piano music, and Piano Concerto.
- some pieces of Ligeti, like his Piano Concerto and Piano Études.
But my brain still judges cacophonous and obstreperous, and resists:
- all by Harrison Birwistle
- some pieces of Ligeti, like his Violin and Cello Concertos.
- most pieces of John Cage besides 2 above, like his Prepared Piano Concerto.