I am wondering if there is a name for an effect I hear in a certain electronic song.

Here is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNXRkmgd9w&t=180s. (It will automatically load at the time where the effect takes place.)

I am referring to the way that the synth gradually "opens up" / "hollows out" / "yawns" (while also growing louder) over the course of about 30 seconds. I'm thinking it's an instrument-specific property that probably changes based on the velocity of the note. If I'm right, is there a name for the type of instrument that changes texture based on velocity like this?

I ask because I find this effect to be absolutely stunning and would love to learn more about it, so in lieu of a name any hints about what I should Google would be highly appreciated :)

  • To me it looks like a Flanger or Phaser effect combined with a Wah effect.
    – Bebs
    Sep 8, 2017 at 7:11
  • Also Talkbox (or vocoder) like in Bon Jovi's Linvin' on a Prayer intro.
    – Bebs
    Sep 8, 2017 at 7:35

1 Answer 1


This is low-pass filter sweeping. It is a critical element of making acid, in the parlance of electronic music. What happens is you route the envelope generator to the low pass filter, set the envelope generator to a short attack and a longer decay, and manipulate the low pass filter manually. Cranking the resonance on the low pass filter makes the sweeping scream.

Here is a demo of the TB303 showing it's trademark patterns and filter sweeping being controlled manually.


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.