I am wondering if there is a name for an effect I hear in a certain electronic song.

Here is the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wNXRkmgd9w&t=180s. (It will automatically load at the time where the effect takes place.)

I am referring to the way that the synth gradually "opens up" / "hollows out" / "yawns" (while also growing louder) over the course of about 30 seconds. I'm thinking it's an instrument-specific property that probably changes based on the velocity of the note. If I'm right, is there a name for the type of instrument that changes texture based on velocity like this?

I ask because I find this effect to be absolutely stunning and would love to learn more about it, so in lieu of a name any hints about what I should Google would be highly appreciated :)

  • To me it looks like a Flanger or Phaser effect combined with a Wah effect.
    – Bebs
    Sep 8 '17 at 7:11
  • Also Talkbox (or vocoder) like in Bon Jovi's Linvin' on a Prayer intro.
    – Bebs
    Sep 8 '17 at 7:35

This is low-pass filter sweeping. It is a critical element of making acid, in the parlance of electronic music. What happens is you route the envelope generator to the low pass filter, set the envelope generator to a short attack and a longer decay, and manipulate the low pass filter manually. Cranking the resonance on the low pass filter makes the sweeping scream.

Here is a demo of the TB303 showing it's trademark patterns and filter sweeping being controlled manually.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.