I'm referring to when, for example, in dubstep, you hear heavily edited voice samples, to the point where there are no recognizable words in it anymore.


  • 1
    I think it will be just called by the effects used to modify the voice (saturation, quantization, low-pass, reverbs... etc).
    – Bebs
    Commented Oct 3, 2017 at 15:29

1 Answer 1


The rhythmic cutting and splicing you hear in the first example is intended to resemble scatting or puard al thain (mouthing). When this was first being done it was called cutting or chopping. This method was first experimented with success by Delia Derbyshire in the early 1960s back at the BBC Radiophonic. In this example, Delia was using reversing and cutting of actual tape to make a sound that was distinctly alien.

  • Good answer. It sounds like it might be related to chopped and screwed remixing. Commented Oct 4, 2017 at 16:10
  • so it's just called cutting or chopping? kind of dissapointing xD
    – Brian H.
    Commented Oct 5, 2017 at 7:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.