I'm referring to when, for example, in dubstep, you hear heavily edited voice samples, to the point where there are no recognizable words in it anymore.


  • 1
    I think it will be just called by the effects used to modify the voice (saturation, quantization, low-pass, reverbs... etc).
    – Bebs
    Oct 3, 2017 at 15:29

1 Answer 1


The rhythmic cutting and splicing you hear in the first example is intended to resemble scatting or puard al thain (mouthing). When this was first being done it was called cutting or chopping. This method was first experimented with success by Delia Derbyshire in the early 1960s back at the BBC Radiophonic. In this example, Delia was using reversing and cutting of actual tape to make a sound that was distinctly alien.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.