I really like this kind of music, can anyone tell me what genre this falls under?
It looks like this game came out in 1992, which makes sense, because this is a dead-on low-bandwidth version of the then currently popular rock-influenced pop R&B and hip-hop styles.
Compare the beat and basslines of contemporary hits such as
- Hip Hop Hooray - Naughty By Nature 1993
- Jump! - Kriss Kross 1992
- Jump Around! - House of Pain 1992
- My Perogative - Bobby Brown 1988
- Talk to Myself - Christopher Williams 1989
- Miss You Much - Janet Jackson 1989
The record scratches, the "kick it" intro and the quarter-note weak-beat shouts are all dead giveaways. Also that 90's whole note, whole note, half note, half note, quarter-quarter-quarter-quarter turnaround (such as at 0:33).