There is a certain melody pattern appearing in - at least - three very different pop songs. I think that everyone knows about the pattern I am talking about when it comes to these three songs:
- Gloria Gaynor: I will survive, 1978
- Erasure: Love to hate you, 1991
- Robbie Williams: Supreme, 2000
I always wonder:
- Whom was this melody written by, and when?
- In which song did it originally appear?
- Why is the usage of this melody in so different songs not considered copyright violation?
- Which background does it have that could explain its choice?
As far as I found out, the Wikipedia articles about Love to hate you and Supreme mention an
[...] interpolation of the string break from the Gloria Gaynor disco-era classic [...]
but this does not enlighten me any further.