I'm looking for a term to designate this small piece of soundtrack in some TV shows that can, for example:

  • be used as a "punctuation mark" at the end of a scene
  • when we see, for a few seconds, the building were the characters will be located in the next scene

I think soundtrack is too general, and there might be another word.

1 Answer 1


I'm thinking Sting or "Stinger" is maybe what you're looking for.

The wiki article has links to related terms such as "Bumper", but I think the definition of "Sting" is closest.

In practice, there is some overlap also with "Leitmotif", in the way that a theme associated with a character or place may be used as a fill to suggest a transition - but that is a "Leitmotif" used as a fill or "sting".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.