Lately (especially after the release of the Black Panther movie and soundtrack) I hear on the radio and at the street a style of music that uses a specific type of a clicking (alternating between fourths and triplets) drum machine. They seem to belong to the hip-hop genre but I was wondering if there is a more specific term or genre to call them.

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP6G0IzrP1w


I think you are referring to Trap Music genre.

It is, like you said:

typified by double or triple-time sub-divided hi-hats

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.