I'm looking for a term describing the fact that, on a music album, the end of a song is the beginning of the next one, which gives the impression that there is no cut between the two songs.

I'm pretty sure a special term exists and I used to hear it, though I'm not 100 % sure...

Examples : between Perfect and Daphne Descends on The Smashing Pumpkins' album Adore, or between Links 2-3-4 and Sonne on Rammstein's album Mutter.

  • Rammstein 4 ever \m/ – nodws Oct 18 '19 at 16:54

It's called a segue, from the Italian segue - "follows", generally meaning a smooth transition.

Wikipedia also mentions that some album notations distinguish track listings through the use of symbols, such as a >, , or / to indicate songs that flow seamlessly.

  • This term doesn't ring a bell to me at all, but it seems pretty clear that, according to Wikipedia's "Famous examples in rock music" in the Segue article, it is the correct word I was looking for ! Thank you :) – Thesaurus Rex Dec 10 '15 at 10:35
  • 3
    If the transition is a contrasting section it might serve as a bridge between songs. – aergistal Dec 10 '15 at 11:29
  • 4
    And it's pronounced "seg-way" with two syllables. – user546 Dec 10 '15 at 23:49
  • 1
    "Segue" covers those situations, as in an opera where one number follows another with no dialogue or action in between, though the first number comes to a definite end, and there may be time for the audience to applaud it. Terms for the situation where the first flows seamlessly into the second, without missing a beat, include "dead segue" and "segue as one". The score may use the musical indication "attacca". – Rosie F Sep 16 '19 at 11:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.